History of the farm
In 1999, with much struggle and difficulty, Marcelo Morais and his wife, Edilaine, after three years of marriage, managed to buy their farm, which they named “Sítio Serra.” There were already 4000 coffee trees on the farm and the rest of the land was bare. Over the course of each year, they expanded their crops and sought to improve the quality of the coffee. After 17 years they managed to establish their crop. Nowadays, they have 13,000 coffee trees, all planted by Marcelo. In 2013 they discovered that they have coffee of differentiated quality, when, without any expectations, they won their first quality contest in 1st place. After this achievement, they sought to further improve the quality of their coffee. Today, they have two pieces of equipment: a washer and a coffee pulper. With these improvements, in 2014 they managed to win 2 categories in the coffee contest in Poços de Caldas: natural and pulped natural. “Today we work as a family and always seek to improve every day, always putting God first,” says Marcelo.
Coffee processing system
- Only well-ripened coffee cherries are picked from the trees.
- After being transported from the fields to the patio, the coffee is selected.
- The lots are separated and dried on African beds.
- The coffees are raked several times per day. At the end of the day they are covered to protect them from dew and rain.
- After reaching the correct humidity, the coffee is stored in closed rest boxes by lots.
PREOCUPAÇÃO COM A QUALIDADE
1. Only ripe coffee cherries are picked.
2. The coffee is never left in the fields, as it could lose quality.
3. All equipment, installations and patios are kept clean.
4. Residue, dirt and old coffee are not allowed to mix with new coffee.
5. The coffee is raked several times per day and is protected from dew and rain.
6. Upon reaching the correct humidity level, the coffee is stored in a dry place.
|Farm Name||Sitio Serra|
|Size (30kg boxes)||12|
|City||Poos De Caldas – Mg|
|Region||Sul De Minas|
|Program||Brazil Naturals 2016|
|Aroma/Flavor||Nuts, toffee, chocolate, dark chocolate, honey, lemongrass, wine, orange|
|Acidity||Cirtic and delicate|
|Other||Mellow and syrupy|
|Coffee Growing Area||4 hectares|
|Farm Size||5 hectares|
|Auction Lot Size (lbs.)||794|
|High bidders||Wataru & Co., Ltd.|