Sítio Serra is located in the mountains of Poços de Caldas, Sul de Minas Gerais.
In 1999, with much struggle and difficulty, Marcelo Morais and his wife, Edilaine, after three years of marriage, were able to buy the farm, which they named “Sítio Serra.” There were already 4000 coffee trees on the farm and the rest of the land was bare. Over the course of each year, they expanded their crops and sought to improve the quality of the coffee.
After 16 years they managed to establish the crop. Nowadays, in 2015, they have 13,000 coffee trees, all planted by Marcelo. In 2013 they discovered that they had coffee of differentiated quality, when, without any expectations, they won their first quality contest, placing 1st. After this achievement, they sought to further improve the quality of the coffee. Today they rely on a washer and a coffee pulper, with these the quality of the coffee increased even more. And with this improvement, in 2014 they managed to win 2 categories in the coffee contest in Poços de Caldas: natural and pulped natural. They
attribute all of this to the improvements they made. Today they work as a family and always seek to improve every day, always placing God in 1st place.
Coffee processing system
- Harvest the coffee very ripe, if possible.
- Transport the coffee daily from the eld.
- The coffee should be washed on the day it arrives in order to not compromise quality.
- Rake several times per day; at the end of the day, cover suspended patio to avoid dew and rain.
- When the moisture level reaches 12% to 11% it should be removed from suspended patios and placed in rest boxes.
Concern about quality
- Do not allow the coffee to remain in the fields overnight.
- Always use clean facilities, equipment and patios.
- Do not leave residue, soil, dirt or old coffee mix with newly received coffee lots on the patio.
- Rake several times per day and do not allow contact with dew or rain.
- Upon reaching the correct moisture level, store it in a dry place.
|Farm Name||Sitio Serra ~2015|
|Size (30kg boxes)||30|
|City||Poços de Caldas|
|Program||Brazil Naturals 2015 December|
|Aroma/Flavor||Orange, vanilla, raspberry, blackberry, milk chocolate, hazelnut, fig, toffee|
|Acidity||Citric, structured, lively|
|Other||Juicy, creamy, dense|
|Auction Lot Size (lbs.)||1984|
|High bidders||Maruyama Coffee Co., Ltd.|